Stick to these tips to support and maintain muscle mass when you’re away from your routine
How to maintain muscle mass when travelling.
- BCAA: Take these tablets with you.The foundations of protein synthesis and muscle building. The body can’t produce these and so they must be ingested from food/supps. It’s often difficult to find adequate sources of nutrition to supply your body with the required levels of BCAA for maintaining and increasing fitness whilst travelling. Having these little gems helps with that. Grab them here
- Glutamine: Take these tablets with you. Taking these supps aids in reducing muscle breakdown and improves protein metabolism. Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in your muscles—over 61% of skeletal muscle is Glutamine thus it’s essential to meet your body’s demand for it. Grab them here
- Hit your daily protein requirements when you can (1g per pound of body weight)
- Use MyFitnesspal and know your macros and change the depending on where your traveling is taking you, trekking – bulk, beach times – slowly diet etc
- In a country where meat isn’t available – eat frequently in a calories surplus so your body doesn’t break down muscle for energy
- Train in a two split when you can – upper body one day, lower body the next. You never no when you’re going to be able to train and when you can’t with the many adventures getting in the way so take advantage and do all muscle groups when you can
- Compound exercises are king, keep it simple. Pull ups and press up back to back pump everything upper. Crossfit band squats or TRX single leg squats pump everything lower.
- You can find what fitness gear I recommend taking here when travelling or to train anywhere without a gym for that matter