I’d landed on the moon and by eck’ it was a good place to land.
So, you’re Backpacking the Salt Flats?. If you’re into photography, you’ll capture the most unusual photos of your life here. I normally hate tours, being told what to do, where to go. I like to do what I want when I want (brat).
However, I honestly loved this the tour and was fascinated by driving around in a 4×4 jeep with 6 other people across plains I’d never seen anywhere else on earth. I went with Red Planet and they were very good. Great info, great cars and safe. We had a cracking little crew that I continued to travel with into San Pedro Aticama.
For the first couple of days we visited strange sites with Llamas, creators, natural thermo pools, flamingo landing strips and of course the famous salt flats themselves. Staying in little local towns that were simple but accommodating and finally finishing at the natural hot springs with a beer in hand.
I wouldn’t read on and on from other blogs about this place, you have to do it to understand it.
- Go with Red Planet tours
- Take 3 days worth of snacks for yourself and to share
- Take a decent music playlist that all could enjoy
- Have warm clothing as it gets nippy in places Take a decent camera with tripod for some seriously amazing star and landscape shots
- Expect luxury, it’s basic from the food to the sleeping Leave it till last minute to book the tour if you’re in a big group. Solo you should be fine but ideally I’d book up in advance.
Tips for healthy eats
- Rely on your snacks for the most part as the meals are basic
- Take BCAA and glutamine
- I always travel with a little bag of chia or green powder of some sort to add to my water bottle or have on a morning.
- I’m a big believer in a good drink that helps the detoxifying process from sleeping when you wake-up. Whether that be a green tea or lemon water or in this case some green powder in a shake.
How to get meat for that protein hit
- There’s meat, mainly chicken, with every meal and you can purchase hard boiled eggs from the little women at the stalls when you stop at sightseeing places.
- Use your protein powder to top up your in take if needed.
Where to exercise
Don’t, use it as a rest period. Pick one of my travel workout plans here and spend a few weeks before hand working your muscles so they’re ready for this few days off.